The Verdict is In...


So, yesterday was THE day, to see if this heel thingy was just a 'thingy', needing some extra TLC, or if it was a problem. Well my friends, it's a problem.

I had come from work, where I stand barefoot for ~4 hours, so I'm sure that didn't help the situation. However, I attempted to warm up run for ~15 minutes, and after 15 I could still feel it. And when I stopped it really didn't feel good at all. Every step was pretty uncomfortable. This is a problem. 

Immediately, my brain started realizing the reality of the situation. I can't run at tempo pace, therefore I can't race this weekend. And furthermore, I need to see a doc about this and I bet it's going to be a heel problem that needs REST. Meaning NO RUNNING most likely for at least 3-4 weeks! bleh. 

This lil' epiphany (not a fun one at ALL this time), had me further realize the reality of my next month of training, or lack there of. Which then spiraled me to wonder what the heck is gonna happen for me and the San Jose Tri, and ultimately Vineman? This dismal future of my training was bringing me DOWN.

And it doesn't help knowing the injury could have been avoided had I not worn my Nike Free's on the downhill runs of The Relay. bleh. So that's where I was mentally yesterday.

And this morning, I feel a little more resolved with the situation. I'm now kicking in the 'What Can I Gain From This?' frame of mind. Here's what I've come up with so far:

1. Swim my booty off. The swim is my Achilles heel (ah, the irony of this pun I tell ya!) of the 3, and I'm gonna swim my heart out this next month. Gain more swim confidence


2. Bike, bike, bike

3. Focus on Strength Training and Ab work 
These always get put 2nd or 3rd on my training priority list. uh, not anymore for a while

4. Focus on all the Things I CAN be do with my training, and not what I can't be doing right now. It is what it is, and I don't feel like telling everyone the sad version of this story when I'm asked how it's going. I took the pic of me icing my heel this morning and thought 'Good Lord AM, another freakin' pic of my iced heel? enough already! Let's liven it up!' So I asked the kidz to get in the pic and smile.

Now, this is if it's all okay for the heel. But I gotta think it's fine. That's what's happening over here in my world. How's your week wrapping up for you?

Have a great Friday gang!;-)

Comments

Tracey Kite said…
Oh man, I totally understand how much it sucks when you get an injury. I hope it heals quickly and you can run soon. But on the other had by picking up your other training it will help you in your training and in not dwelling on the bad. You are strong and I know when you can run again you will bounce back quick.
teacherwoman said…
Totally feeling your pain. No pun intended. I hope it's not too bad and you heal quickly!
This is hard.
I say, try to stay present oriented and not think too much about the future. It may be that a few days of rest, lots of streching and icing is all you'll need. Don't let your mind worry about things that might not happen. Also, don't blame yourself for wearing the Nike Frees. You don't know whether that caused the issue, maybe with other shoes the situation would have been the same. be kind to yourself!!!
Unknown said…
Here's to a swift recovery and lots of productive cross training.
I can swim but its more of a just barely not drowning thing. Ab work really does pay off and totally worth getting addicted to!
I agree with Running and Living about the shoes. Cushioned shoes can encourage a heel strike and can cause the same problems. Do be kind to yourself :)
JBM said…
Go get some dansko clogs. They are my miracle shoes whenever my feet act up.
ShutUpandRun said…
Awww...that stinks. But you have such a great attitude. I am similar to you when I get bad news I get upset then I move into being proactive!! You've got lots of great things to do to stay in shape while the heel heals!!
Lindsay said…
AWWWW bummer! I hope it feels better and heals soon.
misszippy said…
So sorry! Is it PF? I have a million and one things to recommend from way too much experience with it. And I do second the comment on Dansko's--they seem to be kind to the feet.
Maggs said…
Have you looked into ART? I know you asked me what it was. But if you google active release technique the ART website should have a provider list. I highly recommend it. Hope you get better. Clocks ticking towards Vineman.
Unknown said…
Sorry to hear about the injury but I'm really glad your looking at it in such a positive light. You're going to be getting some great biking and swimming work in!
Aimee said…
I'm so sorry to hear about your heal, but don't start stressing yet! Wait until you see a doctor to find out what's really going on. Hopefully it won't be a major issue. But, if it is, like you mentioned, you can use the time to really focus on your swim and bike! Then, you'll be back to running in no time! :)
Caratunk Girl said…
I feel your frustration!! That really sucks. But you have a good plan, think about all the stuff you can improve on - the swim, the bike, the rock hard abs! It is what I have been doing for 3-4 weeks now with the calf thing I have - and the run in the tri I did this past weekend (except for the injury remaining) was not a problem. So try not to worry, heal the heel and keep positive! :)
Velma said…
I agree see a MD, but focusing on the bike always helps. Good luck.
sarah said…
Better to rest it now than when you can't even walk. It's annoying, but the earlier you start treating it, the sooner it gets better. Although, I'm kind of ashamed to say it, but I ran straight through PF. Burned a hole in my stomach from all the Advil.
Teamarcia said…
No! I don't wanna hear the P word! So sorry the heel is not cooperating! But I love your attitude! There's so much you CAN do.. And you WILL! Hang in there girl. I'm sending lots of speedy healing vibes your way!
Good for you! Staying focused on the positive is the best way to get through this setback. And, really, in the scheme of things, 3-4 weeks sucks, but it's definitely not the worst thing.
*~*~* Tracy said…
I'm so sorry to hear about your heel. It sounds like you have a positive attitude to bring you through your recovery and stay on track with training. I hope it all goes well and you heal soon!
Hannah said…
Aw! I'm sorry to hear of your injury. It can do a number on you, mentally - though it sounds like you've got a great attitude going on.

Keep us updated on how you're feeling!
Hannah said…
P.S. Your kids are so cute!
Steel Springs said…
I'm sorry to hear about the heel! I love your list of proactive ways to get through it, though. Heal quickly!
Oh no I know how fustrating the situation is buut I like how you are staying positive and seeing what you "can do". Godo luck and I hope you heal quickly! Sending you good vibes!
Anne said…
How frustrating...but you definitely have the right attitude :)

Your kids are so adorable!
akjenniekt said…
Sorry- that really sucks! But you're right, just work hard at the activities that you CAN do right now :).
Unknown said…
YOU always have such a great attitude! Just keep focusing on the things you can do and "heel" up!
Sherri said…
Oh I am so sorry!
Injuries are the worse, especially since you have worked so hard. Hopefully, with your good attitude and with the swimming and biking, it work for your good! I hope you heal FAST!!!!!
Julie said…
Hi Anne Marie,
Well that just sucks! I am sorry to hear about your injury. I agree with so many other people that you have such a great attitude:) You always seem so upbeat and positive!! Hang in there!
Laura said…
I'm soooo soooo sorry! I have been dealing with some similar issues...knee with me....and it's hard to be stuck! Here's to hoping that both of us get back out there sooner than later!
LMC said…
I'm SO SORRY you have to deal with this! Maybe, the doc or PT can help you heel a bit faster. I also think you're great attitude will help you heel fast or at least keep you moving while you heel!:) Hang in there and use all the good wishes and get well vibes we're all sending your way! Hope you had a good weekend!!
I am sorry, I hope it heals fast. Well, there are always aquabikes!!!

Popular Posts