Building Bike Confidence Baby


So, all my training I've been doing so far is leading me up to ultimately attempt the Vineman 70.3 triathlon here in Cali, in mid July. It'll be my first attempt at a HIM (ya like the acronym miss zippy!), and this is the first year I'm putting my training as a priority.

And I've found my training journey has led me to epiphany's I didn't expect (I guess that's what makes something an epiphany eh?). Like realizing I'm capable of having bike confidence. In the past, biking outdoors has almost always been with my dear hubby. He's definitely the bike guy between the two of us, and he's always loved, loved bikes. It's his thing. But now through my own training, I'm coming to learn I could actually be a pretty good bike rider myself. I just need practice, practice, practice, and experience, experience, experience.

Experience in just being outside on my freakin' bike for a long ride. And, I need to put myself in situations where I'm in charge, and can't rely on the dear hubby or anyone else for that matter, to show me what to do. These past ~3 weeks of my training have been the beginning of building that practice and experience. Sure, I've been on outdoor bike rides by myself before...but only sporadically and actually just for a pre-race ride, an actual race, or riding a ~3 mi loop for 45 min, that's just outside my house. It's definitely worked for me in the past, but the tides are a changin' my friend.


And so for Mother's Day I FINALLY had the dear hubby drop me off at the beginning of this here road below, and had him & kids pick me up 2 hrs later. Great mama's day gift as I tapped into the riding road of my life. The Silverado Trail up here in the Napa Valley. It is a gem of a road to practice and gain confidence with road riding. Here's a picture of it:




I mean look at that shoulder! It's gorgeous! And this is how the road is for miles, and miles...and miles. No stop lights or signs either!  From Napa to Yountville and beyond. 
So I rode this on Sunday, and I went back for more today. As I warmed up, I couldn't believe how comfortable I felt on my bike. in my aero's. on the road. by myself. I had a great cadence of ~100-110, and I banged out my workout. 

And, I did run off the bike, but in my most cushioned supportive asics for only 20 min. Here's a shot of me post workout with my  pre packaged lunch in my yellow snack bag, post workout drink, my ice pack (frozen bag of veggies under my left leg) to cool the heel down, and compression socks to help w/post ride/run stretch and wear.
And the picture up top at the beginning of the post? I took that as I was sitting on the lawn realizing yah, I'm building bike confidence...and it feels pretty sweet.

Comments

Lindsay said…
What an awesome Mother's Day! Girl you have serious bike confidence! One day just one day I will take up biking!!! Gotta do the running thing first!
akjenniekt said…
That looks like such a great place to ride! Great job :)
Maggs said…
Woohoo! Can't wait to see how you do at Vineman! How many weeks???
Caratunk Girl said…
That is awesome, I love when you get a realization that you ARE improving and gaining confidence! Sweet place to ride by the way. Congrats on a solid day!
LMC said…
That's a great journey that you are on and you have the perfect road to take it on! You are so right about building confidence through practice and experience. I used to think that you either had it or not (replace it with whatever you want). Now, I know that there is truth to "practice makes perfect"! Keep it up!
BTW, I'm very jealous of that wonderfully roomy bike path. Around here, bikers can reach out and touch the cars that pass them by because there is NO room for them. All they get are absurd "Share the Road" signs! It's scary!
Teamarcia said…
Congrats on a great ride! I so need to build bike confidence. A shoulder like that would be a dream come true around here. I find the roads here so nerve wracking!
Katie said…
Nice job on the bike! I'm a big chicken. I prefer to stick with just running. The bike intimidates me. Not because of the effort, but how much I could hurt myself taking a spill while riding fast.
Julie said…
Nice work Anne Marie! That road looks like a perfect place to get a nice ride in:) Cheers for getting bike confidence! Way to get a run in too!! I love the frozen veggies..we use them here also:)
Nice work!! I wish I had a road like that, I would just start drooling if I did.

I am a firm believer, that its all about the bike in a tri.
Ewa said…
Good for you! I am always happy to hear women gaining confidence to tackle things by themselves. We are strong, capable and we can be confident in our abilities.
Next time we go to Napa we are taking our bikes with us and checking out that road. Looks inviting.
Tracey Kite said…
What a great road to ride on. We have a road here with a nice sholder like that but it is so HILLY that it just scares the crap out of me.
Great job on the ride and a great mothers day!
ShutUpandRun said…
Awesome road and shoulder. Glad you got the MD gift you wanted. Seemed like a great day for you!
sarah said…
Confidence, or lack thereof, was always my problem with riding. I just never felt at ease on the bike, and it took all my enjoyment out of it. I'm glad to hear you're building some up - I'd say that's SUPER important for a 56-mile ride. Also, happy Mother's Day! What a fantastic gift.
misszippy said…
Very cool. I am jealous of what beautiful riding you have where you live (oh and of the wine too!). You will do so well at Vineman--I remember your Hawaii bike split was fast, so just think of how well you will do with all this mileage under your belt. Keep it up!
Velma said…
Awesome- bike confidence is hard to get. Someone told me to ride like I own the road, and I think that has helped. Way to go!
Aimee said…
Hooray! Gaining confidence on the bike is such a great feeling! It sounds like you had two great rides...Yay! :)
Unknown said…
Good work! You're doing really well :-) looks like you have a gorgeous route too!
I envy you for that road! Only hills around here, which may be good since my half iron is hilly (blah!) And with such cadence, you better believe there is confidence! Go Anne Marie!!!!
Anonymous said…
WooHoo, Anne Marie! Sounds like you got it, girl . . . it'll just get better and better. That road is just beautiful!
Sherri said…
This is such a fun post and so exciting! that is a fun place to get to in any area of fitness! I am striving to reach confidence in running again...maybe I need to be dropped off for 2 hours...on a road, not a mall! =)
mjcaron said…
Thanks for the comment. "Baggin what you're rakin" ? I can't wait to use that one on my nieces. :)

I have Nappa Valley marathon on my to do list within the next 5 years. I love red wine and marathons so WHAT could be better.

Glad you found your strength and confidence on the ride. I must say it sure looks flat out there. Nice road!
Unknown said…
NIce ride and I'm glad that you did it on Mother's Day, truly significant! Vineman is going to be so FUN and you'll be totally ready!

Popular Posts