'THE' Race Report: Lavaman 2010!

Okay, sit back, relax, maybe grab a drink and some popcorn because although I intend to keep the report to the point...it's Lavaman OD triathlon! And I know I could get wordy. So here we go...
Pre-Race:
I ate well both Friday and Saturday. No crazy vaca food or drink for me. But I couldn't sleep well at all Sat, so I may have been more anxious about the whole thing than I realized. We (Ironoman Dude & I) woke up at 5am, had our coffee, and had my hawaiian toast w/peanut butter. Out the door at 5:40 am. The race was ~5 min bike ride from our condo. Yeah, I know it was sweet. Actually it was better than sweet. It was perfect. 
We biked over, racked our bikes, and lined up to get body marked. It was REALLY windy at this point. Really windy. And the wind coupled with the darkness, and the loud generated lamp lights for T1 made for heightened anxiety on my end. 
After we body marked, I did a warm up bike spin for ~20 min and I'm so glad I did. It was really windy still, so it gave me the idea of how the bike would be if the wind didn't die down. It also gave me a mental break out of the race area to just be. I then did a quick ~10 min warm up run. Came back, suited up in my one piece swim suit I wore over my tri bike/top (to have less drag in the water) and cruised down with Maggs to the swim start. As we were walking down, I realized the wind was dying down too. Significantly. I silently thanked the sky for behaving and smiled at the idea of no wind for the race.Thank GAWD.
I warmed up ~10 min in the water, then the first wave (elites) went off at 7:30 am. I was in the fourth heat (I hate it that the ladies are in the last heats! It can be such a buzz kill! anyway, I digress). We were off at 7:40am. Here's a picture of my heat swim start. Can ya see where I'm at? I'm the one with the pink cap and black suit on:
Swim (~29min):
I went out in the front middle of the pack. I felt strong and just focused on breathing, breathing out and just going. For the first half of the swim, I felt fine feeling like I was in the wash cycle of my laundry. In the past, this feeling would have me stopping every 5 feet and reassess my position, etc. This time I just kept swimming. I was fine with the discombobulation. But it was at the last turn back where I did start to feel disorientated, and had to do a few longer sight checks to make sure I was going the right direction. I just kept sighting the palm trees (yeah, I know, kill me now) and came out of the water breathing hard but felt MUCH stronger and ready to race than a year ago. And my time was ~3 minutes faster than last year...which is a lot in swimmingland.
I ran up, high fived my kids (It's a goal of mine this year to give high fives and smiles to em' when I race) and zipped outta T1 in 1:47 min total:
Bike: 1:10:42 (21.1 mph ave)
The bike, well was pretty sweet. I had only the experience of last year to compare it with and as I've said before, I'm a different rider now. I'm different mainly because I've focused on my cadence, and power for the past ~6 months and I felt the difference. Plus, I am in better shape than a year ago, so was not as wiped from the swim. I kept my bike spinning high at ~90-105 cadence for most of the time. I also have a new fabulous Speedfill waterbottle that I MUST do a review for because it is the BEST. It allows me to not have to move my head, arms, body to drink. The bottle tube is right there by my face during the entire ride. That made a difference in my bike too. I don't have any pics of me on the bike, but here's a pic of my speedfill waterbottle:


So I was able to ride in my aero bars the entire ride, no problem (didn't know if I could/would or not). Also, I've never said 'On Your Left' more in a race. ever. And I'm not trying to be cocky. I actually couldn't believe it. That was a pretty cool feeling. 
I also practiced my T2 transition the day before and taking my feet out of my shoes to run barefoot into T2. Glad I did, because it worked. My first official- 'Run into T2 barefoot' experience! T2 time :47 seconds, and I'm off on the run.

Run: 47:11 (7:37 min/mile)
Ah, the dang run. This my friend, is where the mental mind F began. ugh. As soon as I started I thought 'heck! I've already exceeded my swim and bike expectations! Don't worry about the run. You can walk it, or slow down, or just forget about it. You did so well on the other parts, who cares about this.' Because I was not having any fun on it. I wasn't even 'not having fun' with it. I was just Nuckin' Fot having any of it. I attempted to keep up a quick cadence but I did Two BIG no no's for my race. I did NOT wear a heart rate monitor or my GARMIN the entire race. So I had no clue how I was actually doing physically. Plus, I didn't even allow myself to look at my own Timex watch...because I didn't want it to mess with me more. This right here was all some major mental rookie moves. And now I can look back and say, 'Okay, suck it up Anne Marie ya gotta rely on a watch, monitor, something to tell you how you're doing'. 
So miles 1-4.5 just basically sucked...but I still shuffled along and was okay. It was the last 1.8 miles where I REALLY was just over the whole thing. I was thinking 'what the F am I doin' out here? And I wanna do Vineman? Are you F'n kidding me? That's bullSH$^'. ugh. Then to top it off, I had a gal in front of me who I could tell was in my age group. I shuffled by her at the last aid station (she stopped and I didn't and I thought...oh, no...I just passed her). She shuffled behind me til the last ~.5 miles of the race where now it's beach sand, and I just.didn't.care.anymore. Mentally I gave up. I had given up when I had passed her, I immediately wanted her to pass me. In my head I begged her to pass me. And I got my wish. She was sweet enough to say 'c'mon, let's do this' to me a few times, but I just didn't care. She (along with another gal) passed me in the last .5 mile of the race. Salt to the wound baby.

Here's yours truly at the last ~5 ft of the race. I look pretty chipper eh? Great running form eh? Nice hunched shoulders...UGH. It was hard. But I did manage to high five my kids again (along with those 2 kids in purple shirts behind me). And Ironman Dude was there at the end with ice and water to throw on me for support. Thank you. Here's exactly what he looked like:

Actually, I'm sorta lyin'. This is him after the free massage, which I happily imbibed on as well (the top post pic is me afterwards. Hence, why I look so relaxed)  I just wanted to post the pic because I thought he looked like a tri hot guy.
I did end up having a good race. a 2:30:01 I'll take. And I couldn't have done it with out these peeps:
Nana watching the kidz, while mom and dad raced. And raced we did. And shortly after, we came back for their awesome BBQ/Beer post party:
So that's my race report in a nut coconut shell. I'm almost certain I wouldn't have written one if I didn't have this here blog/support and I'm so glad I did. So thank you for asking about the race, and being with me in your comments and support.
Now who's up for Lavaman 2011?;-)

Comments

Maggs said…
Me. I'll be there next year for sure. I'm gonna kill it on mile 4.5-6 of the run. That's just a rough spot for everyone I think.

I can see myself in the swim start photo. Based on position and goggle strap color. Can I steal it and put it on FB so I can tag the girls next to me too?

And Speedfil rocks. So glad I used it. It's gonna make NOLA 70.3 a lot easier.
Congrats on an amazing race. You made a ton of progress in a v short time. That Speedfil hydration system looks awesome!
Anne said…
Great race recap and gorgeous pics (you're right, Ironman Dude definitely looks like a hot tri guy :)). Sounds like you know what to change to make things better for next year. Good for you, for just keeping on and not giving up and being a wonderful model for your kids!
Velma said…
Awesome!!! I would love to go next year - it sound like so much fun.
Julie said…
Hi Anne Marie,
You did so good!! I laughed at your I am the one in the black suit and pink cap:) I enjoyed reading your race report and looking at the great pictures!! You have such a good looking family:) Also, can I say I want your abs girl....looking good!! Congrats again!

I want a hot and fast red bike too:)
Anonymous said…
Okay, Lady . . . sounds intense and thrilling, and you are a rock star, for real. But the coolest thing in my shallow little too-early-morning-mind is: you look Hot, Ironman Dude looks Hot, the kids . . . well, I officially dub thee all the "SUPER-HAWTs" . . . way to go, Chica!!!!! =)
Stacey said…
Great recap! Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats!
Unknown said…
Really enjoyed reading that, you did awesome :)
Aimee said…
Great race report. Woohoo on an amazing race! I know you were disappointed with your run, but you ROCKED and your time was awesome!

Oh, and how fun that you and your husband got to race together while Nana watched your kids...that's just awesome!
Babbs said…
You're my hero! And YOU look like the Atheta model... beeeyotch!
akjenniekt said…
Congrats on the race! You had a great recap and it sounds like a fun race (even with the run:-))
It's great that your fam was there racing as well!
LMC said…
I enjoyed reading your race report and checking out the pix. I think it's awesome that you and your husband both had really good races and I especially liked that you high fived your kids. How fun! Are you ready for another one of these? You look ready and you'll be more experienced, so there's no telling how well you'll do. :) Have a great week!
Unknown said…
You are amazing! How fun it all sounds :)
Wendy said…
Oh wow! You are amazing!! Congrats!

BTW, it was Chinese food. :)
Sherri said…
You inspiring! I loved your race report..it was fun to read and great pictures! I must say that I was most impressed with the fact that you performed a FAST Tri and still managed to high five your kids! That is hard to do and impressive!
Unknown said…
FUN post! Your kiddos will never forget that you high-fived them and raced in Lavaman. Your hot tri guy comment made me giggle and once again, you inspired me! I really felt your discomfort during the run when you didn't have any way to gauge your pace, etc. I think I would have gone out without the Garmin too and then totally regretted it. Good lesson for me! You did an awesome job and thanks for a fun and cool race report. It looks like you had a great vacation too.
Tracey Kite said…
Great job, I think it is great that the kids could be there and that your family is so supportive of you. You are totally awesome!
COngrats !!! Your such a rockstar
MJ said…
Congrats!!! What a machine!! You're an inspiration whether you know it or not. And man, You look great in your tri gear! :)
Rad Runner said…
Great pics and report!
Great JoB!
SurferWife said…
You did a phenomenal job! I am so super impressed. I love that your 7:37 mile pace is considered shuffling for you. That would be considered a miracle for me. :)

My hubby is considering Vineman but I think he is a little burnt after CA 70.3 and is going to wait for next year in Boulder. We shall see.
Tracy said…
You had a kick ass race girl! Congrats. And you win the award for best dressed. Perfect outfits for the island!!!
Jill said…
You are SO real!!! Thank you for sharing your so honestly. You are a real inspiration to me!

Popular Posts