31 Days To Build A Better Blog

31 Days to a Better Blog

I started this blog in January 2009, and I didn't tell anyone about it for the first oh maybe six months (other than my hubby and the 5 friends I emailed it to).  I just felt too weird about the whole thing. I know, sort of an oxymoron eh? I used it mainly as a vehicle to keep myself motivated with my weekly goals and training, yet had no clue who was reading the dang thing, let alone if ANYONE was, other than my 5 friends and hubby.
 
Then last Fall I started reaching out to a few fellow blogs, and cafemom, and tried to make it a point to write more than just my once a week Sunday goals. I felt more momentum, but I still didn't really know what my blog was about, who my audience was, or how many peeps read it.
 
Then in the New Year, I thought about my goals for the year (I know....sooo unlike me eh?), and what brought me joy. This blog was around the top of the list. That's when I decided to put in the due effort and attention it deserved to see where this blog could go. 
 
So I googled 'building blogs' or something like that, and this here book on problogger came up. I'll be honest, when I first visited the site and read it's 'All You Can Eat For ONLY $19.99!' approach, I was a bit thrown off. But I figured it's a workbook with 31 concrete ideas to specifically help my blog for only twenty bucks- that's how much I'd spend on my next book. Why not just buy it? So I did. But again, I didn't tell anybody because I think I was again embarrassed to admit I wanted to put this much attention into blogging. 

Problogger states this workbook will give you a dramatically better blog. And for me? It has done so and then some. I can't believe it. 
This book (which you download online) was my personal  'Blogging For Dummies 101'. It confirmed a lot of things I felt like I wanted to be doing, and gave me the understanding of how the bloggville sort of works. 

Now granted, 31 Days to Build a Better Blog is also written for the BIG TIME bloggers out there who are lookin' to make six figure salaries, but it also definitely includes the spectrum for all the different styles/sizes of blogs out there.

I've been wanting to share this book with y'all for some time now, but I honestly hadn't finished all 31 days til' right before my vaca. I haven't fully implemented all the activities recommended yet, but I know what they are now, I have direction, and a way better understanding of it all.

And the best part of all this, is that this blog has given me so much motivation, inspiration and support from becoming part of the bloggyworld these past few months. It's been fantastic. And I have (virtually) no problem shouting from the mountaintops that I have this here blog;-)
 
Oh, and also, I was not paid to write this (actually, problogger if ya end up reading this, can I have a discount? OR maybe I should try and do a GIVEAWAY!...now I'm thinkin'...)
Have any of you read this book, or any similar style book that has helped your blog? Please share!

Comments

Caratunk Girl said…
Thanks for sharing the book. I started my blog much the same way, I didn't tell anyone, then eventually, I did. It has helped to motivate me so much - as does reading other blogs like yours.
Tricia said…
I haven't read any blogging books. I never even imagined there were books like that out there :)
Marny said…
I love, love, love your blog! I have to admit, I felt dorky when i started my blog. Especially cause the ones I was reading at the time were sooo good and had a bajillion followers. But now, some of my faves are the little gems that have only a few followers. I am excited to see yours blossom :) Oh and WTH, there are bloggers that make 6 figures?!? Gimme that book!
ShutUpandRun said…
I'll have to check that out. Six figures sounds nice :)
Jen said…
Never thought about it either...
Anne said…
I love your blog :)
Like you, I've been slowly letting people in on the fact that I have a blog...and feeling more comfortable with it as I make adjustments and transitions along the way.
Thanks for sharing that...I'll definitely check it out.
Unknown said…
Thanks for sharing that! I hope they give you a giveaway to do hehe, that would be cool! I really enjoy reading your blog it's a little bit different to most and I think it works really well :-)
I have learned blogging is a part time job, but its one that you actually enjoy doing. I dunno about the book, but I try to use the free internet for ideas for mine
Sherri said…
How fun! I haven't even thought about improving my blog....right now it is just everything in my heart...great idea! I am going to buy the book and try and improve my blog...between diapers! +0

Seriously...THANK YOU!
Sherri said…
That thing....+0 was suppose to be a smile...=)!
There much better... I am NOT going to blame it on the two little ones on my lap!!!!
Unknown said…
I had no idea there was a book...but I have heard that people make BIG BUCKS off of blogging...I kind of like the grass root, simple stuff we all have going on but I also recognize the "need" to go big if that's what's calling you...well not YOU but someone! Go big or go small, I think it's all positive because we're all supporting or being supportive and that's why I am here! It's so fun and helpful too! You know I *love* your blog and have learned a lot from you so thanks, in my eyes you're going big without the MILLION dollars...yet:) !
Velma said…
Love the blog. I had no idea that books like this existed.

BTW, nice work on the new training plan. I use training peaks to load my workouts.
Aimee said…
Great post! I too, didn't tell anyone when I started my blog...not even my husband. I was kind of embarrassed about it for some reason and thought that no one would want to read what I had to say. Then I told my husband, sister and my best friend and they were so supportive.

Now, it's something that I really like to do. And, I love reading other people's blogs and learning about new things and reading about different people's experiences (like yours!).
misszippy said…
Well, I'd say the book is working for you b/c you have a great blog and a growing following! Thanks for sharing it with us. I can use something like that, for sure!
Teamarcia said…
They definitely need to be paying you for that nice plug. My family and lots of friends still don't know I blog--is that weird?
Rad Runner said…
Great post! Can I hope on this goal train to?
Julie said…
Hi Anne Marie,
Oh boy, they have books on blogging!! I just started blogging a little bit before you did and my goal was to make a few friends who like to run:) It has been such a positive experience for me and a total blast!! I really enjoy your blog Anne Marie...I am glad we are blogging pals:)
akjenniekt said…
I know what you mean about starting a blog...I kind of feel the same way you did (I still haven't told family and friends about it - not exactly embarrassed but it would feel weird to have someone I KNOW reading right now at the beginning).
Thanks for sharing this resource:-).
Isela said…
New to the blog and just wanted to say that I love the t-shirt you are wearing on your banner "Dare to Dream" perfect!!!!
akjenniekt said…
That's pretty cool about Lavaman :-)! Well, in AK you either stay active or go crazy- people like to be extreme up here:)!
Alicia said…
You are so sweet to check in on me! I'm doing fine just busy and not blogging. Still reading, though! Loved reading your posts about Hawaii. You are a super-athlete!

I've never read a book about blogging. I'm not even finding the time to do the blogging much less read about it. I better start there first, eh?
LMC said…
I appreciate this post very much because now I know there are others who started blogs and didn't say anything to anyone, except maybe the hubby. I still haven't, not sure why.
You have an awesome blog and should shout it out to everyone. I have learned alot from your blog and have only been reading it for the past 2 or 3 months. Keep it up!
You recommended this book to me recently. I have read a few of the pieces of the book that are available on the website. It's pretty good. Thanks for sharing!
teacherwoman said…
I haven't read any blogging books, but have been looking! Thanks for sharing!
MJ said…
Thanks for sharing this! I'm intrigued.... (and your blog is awesome btw! So glad I stumbled on it.)
RunToTheFinish said…
I have read the book and liked it in general, I can't say that my hits went up dramatically after implementing a lot of what he said. But I'm still working on it as I do love talking about running and especially hearing from those who are just starting out
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing, I think I might just give the book a tri, (oops, try : ) tell them you want kickbacks for referrals!
Megan said…
Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking more & more about such things. I'm going to buy this book for sure.

Popular Posts